Para las Mamás
Why it’s important to know
• The daily tasks that parents need to do - things like feeding their children, bathing them, and going to the supermarket can be a time where they bond with their babies and enjoy the time together.
. Interacting through play has a positive impact on a child's confidence, language skills, sense of security, social skills ... and lots more
Summary of how to connect through play:
• Refer to detailed handout link below for info for each stage
CRAFT: DECORATE A MYSTERY BOX
Why it’s important to know:
• Besides being fun, music can have a big impact on physical, emotional and cognitive development.
. Listening and playing music improve a child's concentration, motor skills and positively influence imagination, creativity and language.
Summary of how to promote music:•
. Listen to music
. Sing with your child
. Dance, clap
. Make musical instruments
CRAFT: TOILET ROLL KAZOO
. The American Association of Pediatricians recommends that screentime should be avoided until 2 years old - other than for parent assisted face-to-face calls with family members
. Baby's brains get strong at what parents give access to. If you want your child to be a strong reader or have good fine and gross motor skills, make opportunities to practice those things.
. Modeling is important. Create a family technology plan.
Summary of how to to move away from screens
. Model restraint around your own use of technology
. Give limited access to screens. Always have a book or small toy on hand for distraction. If you don't start a habit of giving a phone to a baby, they're less likely to ask for it.
VIDEO (And short article)
CRAFT: Make things for a scavenger hunt to do at home; Peek-a-boo, etc.
• Parents daily actions and interactions with their children have a big impact on brain development, starting before babies have language
Summary of how to do:
• Share their interest, note what they point to
•Support through being animated and positive
• Give things a name - whether in a book, street ... anywhere
• Interact by taking turns and allow for time; praise positively
• Practice beginnings and endings; share their interest
CRAFT: DIY bowling game